Keeping your foundation’s information up to date with Candid is a critical way to share information with grantseekers, grantees, and other funders.
Candid provides several methods of updating your foundation’s profile. Most of our information comes from Form 990s that we get from the IRS. We also glean information from your annual reports, financial statements, grants lists, application guidelines, web sites, and other public communications.
You can also help us ensure that the information we present about your grantmaking is current and correct! Here's how:
- Tell us if you find any wrong information. Our frontline staff will forward it to our editorial team for corrections. Use Foundation Directory Online Quick Start for free to review the basic information we have on your foundation.
- Use Foundation Updater to update your profile. Grantmakers can register for this free service. Once we've verified your identity and activated your account, you can submit and update your profiles in Foundation Directory Online. Updates will usually appear within one week.
- Use our free Electronic (eReporting) Reporting Program to send us your grants data directly. Sharing your information directly with us through e-reporting ensures that the timeliest information is available to the sector and that the story of your foundation's giving is told accurately. Funders who participate in the program receive a free interactive map of their grants data to use on their website or in other communication vehicles.
- Claim your foundation’s GuideStar profile to enhance what is known about your foundation’s charitable efforts. If you ask your grantees for data about their operations or management as part of your application process, completing your foundation’s GuideStar profile is a great way to lead by example and create a more equitable sector by offering up the same kind of data you regularly request from your applicants.
- GlassPockets profiles provide a way for foundations to assess the transparency and openness of their websites. Foundations take the self-assessment and then report it publicly to display their commitment to greater foundation transparency. To update your foundation’s GlassPockets profiles, email changes to [email protected]. To use the GlassPockets self-assessment to assess the transparency of your foundation’s website, visit Who Has GlassPockets?
- IssueLab provides free access to more than 30,000 case studies, evaluations, white papers, and issue briefs addressing the world’s most pressing problems; shares content with libraries, archives, and online communities; and builds custom knowledge centers for funders, networks, and nonprofits. Make sure your foundation’s publications are added to IssueLab to increase their reach and discoverability by others.
- Fill out your foundation's annual questionnaire carefully and return it to us in a timely manner. Every year we mail a questionnaire with a copy of our database entry to foundations with assets of more than $1 million or over $50,000 in annual giving. Entries include contact information, financial data, giving interests, and application information. We also mail out questionnaires to all community foundations. When you return the questionnaire, we update your profile to match the information you’ve given us.
Have a question about this topic? Ask us!
Candid's Online Librarian service will answer your questions within two business days.Ask us