Produced by Candid
access_time 1 hour 15 minutes
In celebration of Women’s Equality Day, this webinar addresses the systemic challenges of gender disparity in the nonprofit sector and discusses solutions to bridge this divide.
Gender disparity is nothing new in charitable work as it has historically been ‘free labor provided by women’, and this has only gotten worse during the COVID-19 pandemic1. In this training, we will help you identify if gender disparity exists in your nonprofit and cover how to incorporate gender equity into the fabric of your organization.
Thanks to the generous support of Borealis Philanthropy, Candid is offering this live, online training series to further a variety of conversations on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the social sector.
Use the following bookmarks to jump to sections of the webinar:
- 0:36 Who is Candid?
- 1:23 Introducing Holly Rustick
- 03:13 Overview
- 04:14 Before we start: Forward notes
- 06:58 What is intersectionality?
- 09:17 Gender disparity is a system
- 12:46 Gender disparity in pop culture
- 14:16 Inequality to capital
- 16:40 Gender inequity embedded within the nonprofit system 19:00 Institutionalization of the nonprofit
- 21:08 Funding constraints that make nonprofits compromise
- 23:55 Representation is important, but it isn't everything
- 27:11 Let's talk about pay gaps
- 30:14 Not my nonprofit!
- 32:10 Analysis, processes, action, narrative
- 32:42 Reshaping culture
- 35:19 Conduct a recruitment self-audit
- 42:26 Evaluate your compensation system for internal equity
- 46:37 Evaluate your compensation system for industry competitiveness
- 49:09 Assess how raises are awarded
- 50:08 Evaluate employee training, development, and promotion opportunities
- 51:31 Ensure your organization practices transparency
- 53:23 Provide benefits that work to sustain gender equity
- 55:16 Assess your facility to account for 75% of your population
- 56:44 Gender equity policy buy-in and centralized groups
- 59:07 Conduct focus groups and surveys
- 1:00:25 Integrate gender equity into your budgets
- 1:00:57 Ensure there are accountability measures for growing gender equity
- 1:01:43 Advertising and communication
- 1:02:37 Supplier diversity
- 1:03:04 Funder and partner supported
- 1:04:13 Wrap-up
- 1:05:35 Questions
- All levels of experience
- Board members
- CEOs, executive directors, upper management
- Fundraising & development staff
- Grant writers
- Individual grantseekers
- Marketing, communications, external affairs
- Nonprofit startups
- Program directors and staff