calendar_today Tuesday, April 20, 2021 - Thursday, May 20, 2021
Eastern: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Central: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Mountain: 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Pacific: 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
The Fundraising Academy: Cause Selling Fundamentals is a fully virtual fundraising certificate program that teaches and empowers emerging fundraisers to effectively identify, qualify, cultivate, and retain donors by building authentic, lasting relationships. Students connect and collaborate with peers through the interactive, cohort-based training model. Students will explore effective prospecting and lead qualification strategies, practice their pitch to successfully secure donor support, discover digital fundraising tools, learn how to effectively assess and approach different social styles, better understand their ethical responsibilities, redefine donor objections, and more.
This program is specifically designed for emerging fundraisers (i.e. professionals with 0-5 years of experience working with individual donors).
Schedule of live online sessions:
- Tuesday, April 20, 11:00 am–1:30 pm PT / 2:00–4:30 pm ET
- Thursday, April 22, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Tuesday, April 27, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Thursday, April 29, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 4, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Thursday, May 6, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 11, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Thursday, May 13, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
- Tuesday, May 18, 11:00 am–12:30 pm PT / 2:00–3:30 pm ET
- Thursday, May 20, 11:00 am–1:00 pm PT / 2:00–4:00 pm ET
30 CFRE point(s)
- Apply strong time management skills in your fundraising work
- Explain why people give
- Identify the 8 steps in the relationship-driven Cause Selling cycle and plan how you will apply these steps to your work
- Plan how you will approach an individual donor
- Create a list of questions that you can ask in conversations with donors, to get to know their reasons for giving and potential obstacles to making a gift
- Present a pitch to promote your cause and your organization’s work
- Ask for the gift and have a plan for fielding common objections
- Plan strategies for stewarding your relationships with donors
What materials will I receive as part of the course?
- A complete participant guidebook
- 10 two-hour meetings with expert facilitators, designed with interactivity in mind
- Sample documents
- Templates and helpful articles to guide you in your fundraising work
- Facilitator and peer feedback on your pitch!
Also, upon completion, you will receive a certificate of completion.
Recommended textbook: In addition to the participant guide that will be provided in advance of the first live session, registrants can purchase a copy of Cause Selling the Sanford Way: A Guide to Relationship-Driven Fundraising (Second Edition) for supplemental reading.
Candid does not provide the Cause Selling textbook. You can purchase a hard copy or eBook here.
Other frequently asked questions:
Will I need to spend time on the course in addition to the two-hour live meetings? If so, how much time should I plan to spend on the self-paced work each week?
Yes, you should plan to spend additional time on the course content each week, on your own schedule. We have designed the five-week course to be a total of 30 hours, so plan to spend about two hours each week with the materials on pre-work and homework.
If my schedule changes and I can’t make it to the weekly live meeting, will I be able to catch up on what I missed?
While we strongly encourage you to attend the live sessions as they are designed to be highly interactive, we will record each live meeting and circulate the recording to all course participants within 48 hours of the meeting.
What technology would I need to participate in and make the most of this course?
In order to participate in this virtual offering of Fundraising Academy: Cause Selling Fundamentals, you should have:
- An email address we can use to communicate with you (please add us to your contact list or address book so our messages make it to your inbox!)
- A computer or tablet you can use to access the course material and participate in live video calls
- For further details on recommended device specifications, you can consult this page, which describes the computer specifications for Bridge, the Platform where the course will be hosted and this page for specifications for Zoom.
- Note: Dial-in options will be available for live sessions’ audio, in case you encounter any internet/computer difficulties.
We also highly recommend the use of a webcam (built into or attached to your computer), so that you can have a ‘face-to-face’ experience in the live meetings, especially during small breakout sessions with fellow course participants and an expert facilitator.
How our virtual workshops work:
Within one business day of your registration, you will be enrolled in this course and receive an email from our eLearning platform, Bridge. The subject line of the email will be “Welcome! Learning awaits.” This email will have instructions on how to create your own online account in Bridge as well as a link to access your course.
In Bridge, you will be introduced to the course and instructor(s) and be provided with a link to the live sessions, which will be held in Zoom.
We recommend using Firefox as your browser. Visit Bridge for more information on accessing courses, navigating through a course, and viewing its technical requirements. You can learn more about Zoom by accessing this page.
You will have access to the course for 90 days after the program’s last live session. The course fee entitles purchaser to one computer log-in which cannot be shared. In addition, no refunds, transfers, or credits will be issued.
Unable to attend the live sessions? While we strongly encourage you to attend the highly interactive live sessions, we will record the live meetings and circulate the recording to all course participants within 24 hours of the meetings.
By enrolling in this training, you agree to grant Candid permission to document this session with photography, film, and/or video. Material captured may be used in future publications, brochures, or other printed materials used to promote Candid. Please inform the instructor(s) if you do not agree to these conditions.
This training is made possible thanks to our partnership with Fundraising Academy.