Candid does not give grants/donations, suggest specific funders, or approach them on your behalf. More about Candid’s mission. Please refer to the tips and websites in this article.

Most forms of assistance for housing, medical bills, or other personal expenses such as debt relief will come from charitable organizations or government assistance programs, rather than grants from foundations. Foundation grants are generally awarded to nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status. Those that give grants to individuals typically do so to help pay for education or to support artistic or research projects.

If you need funds urgently, more immediate resources for funding may be available in your area, including government agencies, local organizations, and gifts or loans from generous individuals. You might also contact your elected officials to ask about government-sponsored or other programs for which you may be eligible.

Also, we recommend that you explore the resources available at the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) web site for homebuyers, which includes links to local home buying programs administered by state and local governments and nonprofit agencies. Many of these organizations provide assistance with down payments and closing costs for low-income families or individuals and other groups. HUD also provides a searchable listing of approved housing counseling agencies.

See our related Knowledge Base articles:

Where can I find funding for personal expenses?
How can we raise money for a single individual or family in need?
- How can I find funding for seniors, veterans, or people with disabilities?
Where can I find help with medical bills?

More articles for individual grantseekers



Have a question about this topic? Ask us!

Candid's Online Librarian service will answer your questions within two business days.

Ask us

Este artículo está disponible en español

See spanish version

Explore resources curated by our staff for this topic: